Friday, March 23, 2012

Ombre Birthday Cake

How do you make a six year old ecstatic?

You make her this birthday cake.



Wait...it gets better. Here are the innards.



I saw a picture of an ombre cake online, and was instantly inspired. I HAD to make one for my Cuppy Cake's sixth birthday. I was sure she'd flip for it. I was right.

I have a confession. I have never made a birthday cake before. Seriously. I don't like cake, so I don't make it. For my husband's birthday, I usually do a pineapple upside down cake (I guess that counts as cake) but I never decorate it. For Cuppy Cake's previous birthdays, my in-laws always picked up a cake on the way to the par-tay so I never had the chance to make one. But, after seeing an ombre cake, my mind was made up. I was going to make one for my Cuppy Cake. Besides, how hard could it be?

Normally, that would be followed by the line, "famous last words," but not this time! This cake was deceptively simple. Here's how to copy my technique.



First, turn on Pandora radio. I recommend Showtunes. Yes, there will be dancing. If there is no dancing, your cake will FAIL. Guaranteed.

Then, make the batter for your favorite 2 layered white cake. I obviously don't have a favorite, so I just used a generic recipe. After it's mixed, have puppy taste test it. Puppy gave her approval.



Separate the batter into 4 equal parts; I used soup crocks (and made a bit of a mess.) Then, use food coloring to tint each part of batter, starting with the lightest, and increase the amount of dye in each batch to create an ombre effect. I used 3 drops of red and 1 drop of blue in my starting batch.

Then, pour them into prepared cake pans and bake as directed. I only had 2 cake pans, so I could only do two layers at a time. The pans I used belonged to my grandma; they are old, but work great.

After your cake layers are cooked and cooled, stack them on top of each other. I did lightest on bottom and darkest on top. To hold the layers together, I used blackberry preserves instead of icing.



Finally, decorate as desired. My momma made the icing and I crumb coated the cake and then iced it. My icing technique needs a little more work, but I just sprinkle-bombed the entire thing, so no one could tell it was a little wonky.

Add candles, light, blow out, and serve!




(Little guy stealing a sprinkle!)

© 2012 Pineapple Damask, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment