Sunday, November 28, 2010

How to Create an Elastic Casing

Using elastic waistbands is a quick and very easy alternative to zippers or buttons. In fact it's my preferred type of waistband, and even sometimes armbands or neckbands! Here's how to make a casing for your elastic - it's a breeze!

1. Fold down the top of your material about a quarter of an inch. I press down with my iron and then pin in place.

From Creating an Elastic Casing or Hemming with a Sewing Machine



2. Sew in place.

From Creating an Elastic Casing or Hemming with a Sewing Machine



3. Fold down again to a width that is wide enough for your elastic band, plus a seam allowance. I am using a 1/2 inch band and I like to use a 1/4 inch seam allowance, so I am folding the top down 3/4 of an inch. I press in place with a hot iron, then pin.

From Creating an Elastic Casing or Hemming with a Sewing Machine



4. Begin to sew in place.

From Creating an Elastic Casing or Hemming with a Sewing Machine



5. When you come back around, stop sewing about an inch or sew from the beginning, in order to leave a place for you to feed your elastic band inside the casing.

From Pj Bottom Tutorial



6. Cut your elastic band to the size you need. Many instructions say to cut it an inch longer than your measurement. (For example, if your waist is 32 inches, you would use 33 inches of elastic band.) I have found, however, that this almost makes it too big. I like the elastic to stretch a bit, so I know that it won't fall down. Therefore, I do not add the extra inch.

From Pj Bottom Tutorial



7. Secure a safety pin to the end of the elastic and use it as a tool to shimmy the elastic through the casing.

From Pj Bottom Tutorial



8. Ensure the elastic is not twisted anywhere and then pin the two ends together, overlapping them about a 1/2 inch or so, with your safety pin.

From Pj Bottom Tutorial



9. Sew the two ends together. I usually use a zig zag stitch, straight down the middle of the overlapped ends. Others, however, use a straight stitch and sew along the edges, in a square.
From Pj Bottom Tutorial


10. Feed the elastic fully into the casing and sew the opening shut.
From Pj Bottom Tutorial


11. Finally, set the stitches with your iron.
From Creating an Elastic Casing or Hemming with a Sewing Machine

Finished! Great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment